Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fun with Strippie numbers















I saw the nominations for the Strippies and being an engineer I had to take a look at some statistics. There are 17 categories, 4 nominations for category for a total of 68 total possible nominations. The strip club Devil's Point had 16 nominations. The is 24% of the nominations or roughly 1 out of every four nominees were from Devil's Point. Siren Wolf was nominated for nine of the ten categories that a female dancer could get. Of the 68 nominations only two came from clubs west of the Willamette river.

I've already seen a little grousing on twitter about the nominations. To be completely candid, if you don't like the way the nominations turned out then vote more. The numbers might seem a little skewed but this is a result of the voting method. You could vote daily for your favorite dancer in this contest. This means that voting everyday becomes really important. It's more important to have people voting constantly than just getting a bunch of votes short term. If the voting is open for thirty days then one person voting every day (30 total votes) can out weigh 29 people voting for one day.

This ultimately turns this into a voting campaign for the contestants. In my opinion this is the only way you can really run a contest like this. I don't think you can really do this with an objective judging process. This would be difficult to do for a lot of the categories. Seriously, what defines "Best floor work"? To establish a set of criteria, select judges then try and get everybody scheduled to see the performers would be an enormous task.

The clubs and entertainers that did well probably made a very active effort to promote themselves. The clubs I hang out at made no attempt to promote their people and the result shows it. The Dolphin and Star's Cabaret clubs represent some of the largest clubs in Portland. Athena Aura (Not Athena Aurora, her name is wrong on the pdxstrippies web site) was the only one from those clubs. All the promotion was done by her and not club as far as I know.

I think the Strippies have done a excellent job with the contest. I wish I could attend this year. I'll have to wish Athena well from cyberspace this year.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah I answered a few comments about the Strippies myself recently. While I prefer contests based on talent and competition, not popularity and votes; the Strippies doesn't pretend to be something that it's not. I shamelessly begged my customers and friends for votes last year and was nominated in multiple categories-one of which I won (much to my absolute shock). It makes sense that some of the clubs and dancers at those clubs got more nominations-they are more excited about the Strippies and they're clubs get more involved (as you pointed out). To be honest, most of the dancers I have spoken to about the Strippies at my club on the west side have never heard of this event (& therefore are not represented at this event). Regardless of how people are nominated: the Strippies is a fair contest and most importantly it makes us people in the adult industry feel accepted, supported, and part of a community. Even though I didn't want to participate this year (and couldn't since it's during my finals week) I will always support this event and be grateful to Hezzy and Rocket for working so hard to put it together. Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete