I had spent the afternoon visiting a one of our vendors at work and had gotten stuck in a traffic jam on my way home. Rather than spend quality time with ten thousand of my closest friends on the freeway I bailed off the freeway and took side streets to my favorite club to wait for traffic to die down. I was at the club at an unusual time for me (early afternoon). I grabbed a drink and sat down near the stage. The club was pretty empty, the dancers outnumber the customers.
A couple songs went by when a dancer I've never met before sat down next to me. We quickly went through the standard strip club introduction conversation:
Her: What's your name?
Me: Todd
Her: Hi Todd, I'm Epiphany (not her real name)
Me: Nice to meet you
Her: So do you live around here?
Me: yeah, just a couple mile s down the road.
Her: So what do you do for a living?
Me I'm an Engineer.
Her: Wow, that's really interesting. What brings you here today?
Me: Waiting for traffic to die down.
Her: Yeah, that's what everybody says. Would you like to get some dances?
Me: No, I'm going to play hard to get. I think I'll wait and see if I know anybody.
Her: OK, I'll stop by later in case you change your mind.
She walked back to the bar. A short time later a dancer I did know showed up and spent some time with her. After getting some dances from her I went back to my table to spend the rest of my ones and take off.
Epiphany stopped my table again. I assumed she was going to ask for dances again. Instead the following conversation occurred:
Her: What's your name?
Me: Todd
Her: Hi Todd, I'm Epiphany (not her real name)
Me: Nice to meet you
Her: So do you live around here?
Me: yeah, just a couple mile s down the road.
Her: So what do you do for a living?
Me I'm an Engineer.
Her: Wow, that's really interesting. What brings you here today?
Me: Waiting for traffic to die down.
Her: Yeah, that's what everybody says. Would you like to get some dances?
Me: No, I'm going to play hard to get.
We went through the almost exact same conversation. She gave me funny a look when I told her about playing 'hard to get'. I think it set in she had already sat down with me earlier As near as I can tell she had forgotten she had already talked to me until I said that. I've been on the other side of that conversation. After working a trade show for four days you quit looking at the people. You go through the exact conversation so many time you almost don't realize what you are saying. I imagine after several straight days at work most dancers are suffering from charming fatigue. It's tough to be polite and upbeat for an entire shift. Especially when you get a customer you want to strangle.
Of course this doesn't make me feel very good. I'd like to think I'd make a big enough impression that she'd remember me 40 minutes later.
No comments:
Post a Comment