Schrödinger’s cat is a physics thought experiment that describes some of the major weirdness of quantum mechanics. Basically it points out the result and the measurements are linked paradoxidly. Idealy in science you should be able measure something without altering it. In quantum mechanics the two are linked. It always struck me that dancers are faced with a similar problem with they sit down with a customer to sell them a dance. In the Schrodingers cat experiment the cat is put in a box with a vial of poison that may be released randomly. You don't know if the cat is dead or alive until you open the box (take a measurement). The dancer does not know if she is going to sell a dance until she asks. While most dancer will find the thought of putting a cat in box with a vial of poison repugnant, they would happily put some customers in a box with a vial of poison Then nail it shut, light it on fire, and throw it into a river.
Quantum mechanics is really weird. The physics Nobel laureate Richard Feyman once said "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand quantum mechanics". Besides winning the Nobel Prize for physics Richard Feyman was also a regular at strip clubs. Proving the smart people do hang out in strip clubs. While selling a lap dance may not be a theoretically complex as physics, it still can be a difficult process. The point at which you ask for the sale can be really scary. I see all sorts of different approaches.
A dancer tweeted sitting down with somebody you don’t know is cold calling. That’s probably the best description I’ve heard. There are different strategies for cold calling. Some dancers go from table asking every but the furniture if they want a dance. Others sit at the bar and watch, waiting for a customer approach.
Most girls fall somewhere in between. Closing the sale is tough. If you don’t ask, you don’t get rejected. If you don’t ask, you may lose the sale. If a dancer sits down with me I won’t ask her for a dance. If I’m waiting for a specific dancer, I’ll tell other dancers that immediately if they try to sit down with me. I know I come across as a jerk sometimes or maybe paranoid. For it’s the best way to deal with the situation. If I’m waiting for another dancer I’m not going to buy dances from her. I’m just wasting her time. Most dancers appreciate that but some take offense. I suspect they’ve had an off night and hearing one more no is just a little too much to take.
The web site strip and grow rich has a program for helping with stripper cold calls. It breaks customers down into specific types and it has associated methods to sell the customers. Having a strategy is almost always better than just winging it. I’ve noticed that with a lot of sales people, not just dancers, they fall into the exact same approach regardless of the customer.
There is one aspect about selling a dance that is extremely difficult is that not all customers in a strip club are looking for the same thing. This is even more true with regulars. I first started out hanging out at strip clubs because it was the ultimate distraction. I’m not a social person be nature. I don’t want to talk to the person driving my cab or sitting next to me on an airplane. I’m perfectly comfortable with silence. However my job requires me to be social. I have to talk to people I’ve have no real interest in. This can be really taxing on me. Most dancers go through the same thing. They spend the a day at work forcing conversations with people they'd rather not talk to. Just going home and trying to read or listen to music usually doesn’t work to relax me. I end up thinking about work, about the long winded egomaniac I have to call the following day and listen to how stupid my company is. Sitting at the rack with loud music and naked woman in front of me much drowns out any sort of work related thoughts.
After a while things changed. I got to know dancers and discovered that they most were just normal people. A few are crazed drug addicts. But some of the highly educated professionals I work with are crazed drug addicts too. They just can’t be as obvious. Over time I started hanging out because I really liked to talk to a few. The sales pitch that would have worked on me when I first started hanging out won’t work that well now because what I want is different.
Despite the reputation that strip clubs turn women into objects or that dancers treat guys like walking wallets its actually a really human experience. It’s not just sex, but attention, friendship basic human interaction. The experience is what you make of it. Unfortunately the dancers are stuck trying to figure out what you want want to make of it. If I had one piece of advice to give new dancers is always ask for the dance. The cat may live or the cat may die, but you'll never know till you ask.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCOE__N6v4o&feature=related
Thanks for the mention!
ReplyDeleteWe at Strip and Grow Rich agree with you:
"There is one aspect about selling a dance that is extremely difficult is that not all customers in a strip club are looking for the same thing."
One of the activities we do at our live SuperStripper Bootcamp Training is get into the minds of the customer. We go through each of the four personality types, figure out his needs, his pains, and his fears and then brainstorm ways to give him what he wants within our own beliefs and values.