Thursday, February 7, 2008

Poachers and Stalkers

When the club gets really slow there are a couple of tactics some girls use that put me on edge. I usually talk to the same girls, and for the most part I get left alone by the rest. When dollars are scarce, the normal etiquette falls by the way side. Normally I can deflect things, but sometimes I can't. Other times it just blows up.

Stalkers
Stalkers wait for the first possible moment that acceptable dancer etiquette allows and dive at the first opportunity like a blitzing linebacker. Typically if a dancer is sitting with a customer, the other girls will leave that customer alone until she's done. Stalkers do everything but walk up and talk the customer. The first thing they do is what I call the "drive by". They will walk by your table slowly, repeatedly, trying to make eye contact with you. They'll walk behind and brush up against you. I've had girls literally sit a table facing where I was sitting, like they are waiting for a starting gun at a track meet. Normally attention like this is a very rare and desirable thing for me. The strip club environment is far from normal. Dancers can be very territorial, in broader scheme sales people tend to be very territorial. It can be hard enough to make a sale, its get harder when you have somebody trying to get at the same dollars you are. In a purely competitive point of view they are your enemy.

I've watched a lot of confrontations start like this. Some dancers will intentionally take their time just to irritate the stalker. Other will just sit and get angry at the thought of somebody else trying to get at their dollars. Even if the dollars are still residing in my wallet. About I'll I can really do is be a loyal customer and ignore or blow off the stalker. This won't really put off the stalker, but it makes the regular girl lest agitated if she's confident that she's secure. If also interesting to watch dancers work in pairs trying guard a customer. I have been literally tag teamed by two dancers just be sure I wasn't left unattended and open to a stalker. Sometimes it can be entertaining, mostly it's a pain. I hang out at clubs to relax and have fun, not get caught up in turf war. I odd part is in the scheme of things I really not that big of tipper. There are a lot of other customers that spend way more money than me. About the only thing I have is that I'm about as painless as customers get. I suppose when the pool gets small enough I become a big fish.

Poachers
Poachers simply ignore etiquette and will walk up at the first unattended moment and hustle you hard for a dance. Typically if you are a known regular of dancer, most will leave you alone until she stops by. Poachers will instantly be at your table, with the "Hi (honey/good looking/handsome/insert false platitude here), how are you doing, hey lets go do some dances? All usually come back with my usually reply "I'll have to play hard to get, I'm waiting for so and so". Most of the time they'll come back with "I haven't seen her here tonight. I don't think she's coming in" counter. When a dancer (or any sales person) is obviously lying to make a sale it's a bad situation. By this time a most of the other dancers have noticed that the poacher is at work. The gossipy dancers will immediately report this to the regular girl. From my point of view this is where things end for me. Once the poachers figures out there's no money to be made the head else where. However, things will get finished off back in the dressing room. I was watching one poacher at work with a different customer. This guy was a pretty big fish, from what I was told he'd drop between $1000 and $1500 bucks when he'd come in. This is money worth fighting over for a lot of dancers. About five minutes after the poacher went back into the dressing room the DJ announced "All bouncers to the dressing room, all bouncers to the dressing room". A major dancer fur ball was going down.

No comments:

Post a Comment