Thursday, May 13, 2010

75,000 Words

When I complete a blog post, I append it to a Word file I use for archiving. With my last post I’ve actually gone over 75,000 words for this blog. I’ve managed to write 75,000 words in 90 blog posts without repeating myself too much. I’m kind of proud of this. According to the University of Google, the typical paperback has 440 words per page. In an odd sort of way I’ve written a 170 page book about my experiences and observations about the strip club world. To celebrate a little I’m going to write a self indulgent post where I get to blog about my blog. In dancer terms I’m going to ignore the rack for most of this song and check my hair in the mirror next to the stage. (You dancers all know you’ve done that at least once)

With the addition of Sitemeter feature at the bottom of the page I can track which pages get visited the most. By far and away the page that gets most hits is “A brief history of the heel”. I’d say this page gets hit once a week by random people researching shoes. I always wonder what they think when they click on the link and end up on a blog about strip clubs. I really enjoyed writing the post. It’s not often I get to do a little research for this blog and learn something new. Lots of people may be interested in strip clubs but way more folks are interested in shoes.

Blog post with lists tend to be really popular with twitter dancers. My posts “Terms and conditions”, “You know you’ve been a customer too long” and “More ways to know you’ve been a customer too long” all got a lot of traction with the twitter crowd. The content of the post is divided into small sections that lend it self to rapid fire content delivery of twitter. Most folks don’t tweet about the 560 word diatribe I wrote about dancer punctuality. I don’t tweet much, usually just tweets announcing my latest post (you can follow me at www.twitter.com/pdxstone).

I originally started this blog out on MySpace as a venue to bitch about the club. My first couple posts are fairly lengthy tirades about the stupidity of the club that are devoid of humor. These are the only post where I think I come across as angry. I don't like this, if I'm getting angry I'm doing something wrong. I think a lot of strip club bloggers do this as a form a therapy. Granted this is the digital version of putting a note in a bottle and throwing it in the ocean, but it is oddly satisfying.

I suppose I should be forth coming and admit that I’ve only written 89 posts about strip clubs and one about my two plants. When I wrote the blog about my two plants, cleverly named “my two plants” I wasn’t even sure I was going to blog about. I was mostly using it as an online journal. The one thing I wanted to do early on was to write about what I observed at the club and how things operated, not a weekly column about that latest happenings. I think I’ve succeeded in staying true to that, thought I do stray on occasion like when “Aliens invade the Lucky Devil”. On a sad note Beanie the peace lily eventually died. Cecil on the other hand is still doing quite well.

My personal favorite is the “G strings and Gams” post. I rarely see the strip club world portrayed whimsically. This is one of the few posts where I’ve felt like I’ve really come up with something creative. I’ve written a few post in a decidedly humorously fashion. “Operators are standing by” and “What’s in a name” are probably the best. They are neither condescending nor biting just a slightly bent view of the world.

There are three posts that I think are my best, and if you only read three other of my posts please read these. First is the “I’m an idiot and I’ve got the paper to prove it”. This is one of the few times where I’ve become the center of attention in a club for all the wrong reasons. “I only go to strip clubs to watch the train wrecks” is a post where I’m condescending, biting, and severely sarcastic. Sometimes you run into people that you just can’t deal with any other way. Lastly “Don’t forget to bring your singles to the interview” is a favorite because I think I hit on how strip clubs affect a guys nature in different sort of way.

Thank you for your patients, now back to our regularly schedule blogging…..

2 comments:

  1. Well, I for one , enjoy reading your blogs as kind of a barometer to what I observe. I am mostly a day customer and you see the evening side. The last two weeks have been VERY interesting as the overall attitude in the clubs has seemed to be shifting towards actually working on selling the "entertainment" as opposed to just the skin.

    Thanks for the entertaining writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Publish a book, I will be your editor (I knew that BA in English would be handy at some point)!

    ReplyDelete