Thursday, July 30, 2009

Flights of fancy



I recently ran into a web site that I thought was pretty cool. It has nothing to do with dancing, but I thought it was worth noting none the less. The site is called Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/). It's a music streaming site, kind of like a radio station. The way it works are you type in an artist and the site will go through and create a play list of songs from other artists that are similar to the one you typed in. The really cool thing is that you can find all sorts of new music. You can go through the play list and get a history and list of songs from each artist. Which includes lists other similar artists. You can sort through and listen to a bunch on new songs.
Every year the company has a pumpkin carving contest. I typically will turn a pumpkin into a TV set. I'll take a prototype LCD module mount it into a pumpkin, cram all the drive electronics inside, and then decorate the outside. I've never won. I've been told that people think I'm cheating (building exhibits for trade shows is part of my job). These people have never actually put a LCD in a pumpkin; it takes FOREVER to remove enough guts that the LCD looks like it should be inside a pumpkin. Like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, I'll continue my quest. While I was brain storming this year's entry I began thinking of a dancer outfit for Halloween.

The Nerdy Ecdysiast
The dancer nerd. I got on this track looking at shoes. We had a marketing firm that always wanted to plaster "branding" over any available wall space at our trade show booths. It occurred to me that the sides of most dancers' shoes have a ton of blank space. You'd need to decorate the sides of the shoes with the appropriate images. The first thing would be to figure out how to put images on the shoes without wrecking them. We have a laminate that we use to protect displays, it's the clear plastic film that's covers your iPod's display when you first buy it. It will stick to surface of the shoes without damaging them. You can use the laminate to temporarily hold pictures and letters on the shoe. Each shoe would have its own nerdy theme. There would be a Star Wars shoe and a Star Trek shoe. The Star Trek shoe would have an image of Captain Kirk. It would have NCC1701 running down the back of the heel. The Klingon Empire symbol on it somewhere, maybe "Federation approved dance gear" text some where. Add some stuff from Star Trek the Next generation as well.

The Star Wars shoe would have THX1138 running down the heel. Then the iconic poster from the first movie would have to be there. Maybe some clever saying about Jedi mind trick.




Probably socks, different lengths and mismatched. I'm not sure about the dress. I can't think of anything good right now. The shirt would be a white button down with a tie, a clip on tie. Clip on for both ease of removal and comic effect. By adding an internal wire the tie could be made to flip up like Dilbert. A pocket protector would be mandatory. No tip purse, but a fanny pack. A pair of thick black glasses with the bridge taped up, white tape of course. Then a black bra, with white tape in between the cups so they matched the taped up glasses. Then some dorky underwear, Sponge Bob Square pants or something like that.

You could even use the theme song from Revenge of the Nerds. Better yet Weird Al's White and nerdy. Beasty boy's pretty fly for a white guy? What about jewelry? I saw a Wikihow on making ear rings that look like tiny books. I need to think about this further.

No comments:

Post a Comment