Friday, July 31, 2009

Sight and Sound

These are subjects where the opinions of the dancers will probably be a lot different than mine. I was considering how much of an impact music makes on the stage performance. After the last time I was in the club, I stopped and tried to remember what songs were playing when my favorite dancers were on stage. I couldn’t. A few I could remember what type of music they like to dance to. I could remember some songs but not the dancer.

So how important is the song to the set? In my opinion it’s critical. Can you image how a strip club would do if there were no music? Just an hour glass timer a girl turn over, she’d perform until the sand ran out. The whole concept of a girl wandering around the stage naked with no music seems perverted. Despite what the more conservative objectors might want to acknowledge, there is a great degree of art and performance in stripping. I was able to remember other details. I could remember what the girls were wearing and what the conversations we had. I imagine part of my lack of memory is because that most of the music I hear in a club is not what I normally listen to. I actually prefer this. If given a choice I’d rather hear something completely new. I’ve got iPod stuff full of classic rock. I don’t want to hear the same music I was listening to on the drive over. Plus everybody knows rock music attained perfection in 1974 (*Homer Simpson, from Homerpalooza episode)

When I can associate a song with a particular girl’s performance it’s most likely because of choreography. I first heard the expression “poser’s, prancers, and dancers” from Sasha. Poser’s just go up and stage and walk around strike a pose for each customer. The music really has no relation with her set. Prancers will try to dance a little, but they really don’t move with the song, it’s more like background music. Prancers play music they like to listen too while they dance, rather than dance to the music. Dancers indeed dance to the music. They match their pacing and actions to rhythm of the song. I’m always impressed with this. They could just as easily just prance around the stage and make about the same money. I notice that dancers will always put on the same performance regardless if the rail is packed or just the bar staff is there.

Stages are another area I probably spend too much time thinking about. Probably the biggest debate I see when it comes to stages is whether there should be modesty panels of not. Basically should the stage wall be solid or see through. I think they should be open. The modesty panel train of though is that if guys can’s see the girl’s floor work they be more inclined to go to the rail. My guess is the opposite occurs. If the guy’s in cheapskate mode, sitting just off the stage nursing a beer not being able to see everything isn’t going to bring him to the rail. He’s just going to wait for the girl to stand back up. Hiding the girl doesn’t do her any good. As a customer you never know what will catch your eye. Just being only able to see the top of her head and an ankle will pretty much lose my interest in a hurry.

D2 has had some weird stages. The oddest was nicknamed the “pussy platter” by the dancers. It resembled a poker table more than a stage. Absolutely flat, with a lowered shelf complete with recessed pockets to hold drinks. It was really uncomfortable to sit at. You basically eye level with the dancer’s shins when she was standing in front of you. You had to crank your head back to look at anything else, which isn’t the most flattering angle to look up at girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment